I received a call and e-mail from the notorious Ed Carnes at Carnes Group LLC (Franklin, TN — home town of the infamous Robin Robins!).
He has just sold his first Small Business Server 2008 installation and inked the deal. If I can be so bold – and until I hear different – I hereby proclaim that Ed has sold the first copy of SBS 2008 in the world!
But that is not the point of this post. Rather, Ed asked me the very legimate question about WHEN CAN I GET MY HANDS ON SBS 2008? Ed is literally hoping to install SBS 2008 this weekend before he travels to participate in a fiddle festival. True story!
I suggest to you there are really five dates at play here:
- SBS 2008 RTM was the thrid week of August
- Mid-Septem ber: Folks on TechNet Premium, MSDN can download SBS 2008. this will not work for Ed as he will not have legimitate product idenfication codes (PIDs) for the bona fide customer at the time of installation.
- Synnex (distributor) reporting availability on October 1st, accoridng to Ed.
- SMB Nation 2008 fall conference October 4-6 holding “launch party” for SBS 2008
- November 12th is the WW offocial release date for SBS 2008
So – what date is “really” the date when Ed can get his hands on SBS 2008 for his customer!
Harry Brelsford, CEO at smb nation www.smbnation.com
Microsoft Small Business Specialist SBSC, MBA, MCSE, MCT, MCP, CNE, CLSE, CNP
PS – did u know I host an annual conference in Seattle each october for SBSers and SMB consultants? This year we help launch SBS 2008 and Essential Business Server (EBS) between October 4-6!