Good morning and fill up the coffee. I am Harry Brelsford, publisher of the Microsoft Small Business Specialist Primer book and I hold these regular “virtual book readings.” I am posting up a passage today on a five step strategy to BECOME a Small Business Specialist!
Harry Brelsford, CEO at smb nation www.smbnation.com
Microsoft Small Business Specialist SBSC, MBA, MCSE, MCT, MCP, CNE, CLSE, CNP
PS – did u know I host an annual conference in Seattle each october for SBSers and SMB consultants? This year we help launch SBS 2008 and Essential Business Server (EBS) between October 4-6!
Small Business Specialist Strategy
This section describes the strategies surrounding the Small Business Specialist Community.
Five-Step Initial Strategy
How can you make a difference today as you read this early chapter in this book and ride the FAST PATH to becoming a Small Business Specialist Community member? When the clock strikes midnight tonight, is there any single task you could have completed to inch closer to the finish line? YES! Follow these initial strategy steps. Note this section assumes you are starting as a Registered Partner.
• Step One . Sign up as a Registered Partner at: https://partner .microsoft. com/global/program/levels/registeredmember. This gets you in the door and establishes a business relationship with Microsoft. Go do it RIGHT NOW; I’ll wait for you to return.
· Step Two . Welcome back! The next step you can immediately undertake is to PURCHASE THE ACTION PACK! Read about the Action Pack before consummating your transaction, but understand that this is a requirement of the Small Business Specialist Community program. After reading this chapter, go to https://partner.microsoft. com/global/40009735 and purchase the Action Pack! Note that there have recently been “updates” to the Microsoft Action Pack Subscription (MAPS) program and you are encouraged to check online how these changes impact you. For example, you need to complete a quiz in order to be eligible for a subscription.
· Step Three . Complete the Small Business Sales and Marketing Assessment. This is the “business quiz” which the authors strongly endorse to get you to engage in “BusinessThink.”
· Step Four . Sign up for a qualifying technical certification exam. See the IMPORTANT note that follows! We endorse the 70-282 exam as our favorite (and the focus of this book). You can sign up to take your certification exam by starting at this Microsoft Learning site: http:// http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/register/default.asp. Then completely read this book, join our 70-282 online study group (detailed in Appendix A) and TAKE AND PASS THE CERTIFICATION EXAM!
IMPORTANT: Please set your certification examination date at least 14 days from today (30 days may be even better). This gives you time to read this book and completely prepare for your certification exam. The key point is to set a testing date so you have a DEADLINE and are motivated to complete your examination preparations!
· Step Five . Fulfill the other requirements. Here there is good news to report. Microsoft updates its enrollment process in the spring of 2007 to automatically enroll you as a Small Business Specialist if you met the core requirements. This chapter and the remainder of the book spell out the “gives” that you must extend to Microsoft to become a Small Business Specialist. It’s really easy and soon you’ll be a member of the
Chapter 2 Small Business Specialist Community
club! And we haven’t forgotten the “gets” which speak towards “what’s in it for me” crowd.