Good Monday morning. My company, SMB Nation, published the Microsoft Small Business Specialist Primer book and we like sharing! Several times per week, we post up a few passages as a virtual book reading for the community to enjoy! Today we look at the sales and marketing quiz that is a key part of becoming SBSC!
Harry Brelsford, CEO at smb nation www.smbnation.com
Microsoft Small Business Specialist SBSC, MBA, MCSE, MCT, MCP, CNE, CLSE, CNP
PS – did u know I host an annual conference in Seattle each october for SBSers and SMB consultants? This year we help launch SBS 2008 and Essential Business Server (EBS) between October 4-6!
Small Business Sales and Marketing
This book also addresses the online Small Business Sales and Marketing Skills Assessment, a required component of the Small Business Specialist program (see Chapter 15). Microsoft recognizes that its Small Business Specialists are indeed wearing multiple hats as technicians, business people, sales people, managers,
and so on. This requirement—passing a business-focused quiz to demonstrate
your basic sales and marketing comprehension—is a welcome addition. Why?
Because I and other long-time small business technology consultants will attest to
the importance of business acumen in the world of technology consulting and
service delivery. The inclusion of a business-related assessment as a requirement in the Small Business Specialist partnership program speaks to the following small business consulting trends:
· Backroom and Boardroom . Microsoft is a technology company, and many of its past assessments and exams were technology and product focused. The inclusion of the Small Business Sales and Marketing Skills Assessment signals that the business boardroom is just as important as the technical backroom for the small business consultant.
· Cultural Revolution . Blue collar meets white collar. Let’s face it; many customers still view the “computer guy” or “computer gal” as a tech- head and a business lightweight. Consider the Small Business Sales and Marketing Skills Assessment as one step toward turning the blue collar mentality a bit more white collar!
· Analytical Advancement . MBAs and MCPs getting along. As you ascend the small business consulting food chain, you’ll need to have part of your brain thinking BUSINESS. So, consider this Small Business Sales and Marketing Skills Assessment your “mini-MBA.” Upon passing this assessment and joining the Microsoft Small Business Specialist partnership program, you’re a card-carrying business person. Welcome to the club!
Chapter 1 Introduction
· Communication Skills . Sales people like to talk. It’s as simple as that. With your legitimate exposure to the world of sales and marketing, you’re going to also find your communication skills improving. Watch out, as you might go from gruff technical guru to optimistic super-salesperson without even realizing it!
· Higher Pay! Last and certainly not least, there is the economic advancement issue. Knowing all the “bits” surrounding the Microsoft small business product stack is dandy. But bringing home more BUCKS is even better! Hopefully the technical and business mix of the new Small Business Specialist partnership program will let you have more “Bits” and “Bucks.” The Small Business Sales and Marketing Skills Assessment exam is one path to greater financial success because many of us know that after a certain point along your career path, your sales skills will contribute more to your net worth than your technical thinking. You read it here first.
The Small Business Sales and Marketing Skills Assessment is discussed further in Chapter 15 of this book. Note that the Small Business Sales and Marketing Assessment has been updated once and Chapter 15 reflects the updates as of our publication date.